Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Various Artists "Metal Meltdown"


Various Artists
Metal Meltdown
1989 Pure Metal Records

album cover

 back

disc

Songs & Interviews from:

Whitecross
Scarlet Red
Tempest
Bride
One Bad Pig
Jerusalem
Leviticus
Lightforce
Rosanna's Raiders

This plays out more like a radio show than your typical compilation album. Hosted by Ken Farley (I'm guessing he was a radio host for a Oklahoma radio station based on information from the last track), Ken talks about the emergence of Christian heavy metal music, why it's relevant, why there was/is push back from the Christian body. It's meant to be an introduction to parents I assume to clue them in on what exists for their teenagers to listen to versus the secular bands at the time (Motley Crue is specifically mentioned in one interview) and to give a little more information about the bands featured.

I'll be honest, listening to this today I did find it a little humorous at times, but growing up listening to this music I can relate. My parents weren't too keen on my having Stryper's "To Hell with the Devil" album just based on the album title alone. I remember what it was like having to show my parents the song lyrics to convince them there was nothing wrong with songs like Bride's "Hell No"!

For each band there are interview snippets inserted in between parts of various songs. Unfortunately no full songs are played, just enough to wet your appetite for more. To get the full effect you need to listen to the "album" from beginning to end, which will take approximately one hour.

Song snippets included for each band are as follows:

Whitecross
  • When the Walls Tumble Down
  • Walk With Me
  • Because of Jesus
Scarlet Red
  • Don't Dance with Danger
  • Cry Out
Tempest
  • True Love
  • Rock for the Light
  • Goodbye
Bride
  • In the Dark
  • Live or Die
  • Heroes
One Bad Pig
  • Let's Be Frank
  • People Cry Out
  • Smash the Guitar
Jerusalem
  • Plunder Hell and Populate Heaven
  • We're Gonna Take Europe
  • Dancing on the Head of the Serpent
Leviticus
  • Get Up
  • I'm a Believer
  • Saved
Bjorn Stiggson
  • Way of Living
  • Lovin' my Woman
  • Come On
Lightforce
  • Metal Missionary
  • Mystical Thieves
  • Crossfire
  • Searching
Rosanna's Raiders
  • We are Raiders
  • Serve Someone
  • Run the Race

While I enjoyed my recent listen to this CD, I really can't recommend it unless you are a hardcore Christian metal collector of the genre or one of the bands. The quality of the interviews aren't the best and with the music playing in the background I found it hard to hear what they were saying at times without having to turn up the volume. Some of the interviews are interesting, especially since this hails from pre-social media days. Some of the bands never released a follow up album (on the Pure Metal label or any label for that matter) so I can see how some would find this to be a fun collector's item. Be prepared to pay $25+ on the secondary market for a copy. That's a little high in my opinion, but then again I wonder how many copies originally sold (even at the special price of $5.49!) and how many exist today?

2 comments:

  1. Across their career, OBP hsd quite a few stellar musicians join them in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their rendition/duet with Johnny Cash on "Man in Black".

      Delete