Thursday, February 12, 2015

Saint "Time's End"


Saint
Time's End
1986 Pure Metal Records
Produced By: Richard Lynch and John Mahan

album cover

back

back (insert)

insert (inside)

disc

Track Listings

In The Night (3:25)
Space Cruiser (5:15)
Through You (I Am Winning) (4:13)
Time's End (4:42)
Primed And Ready (3:47)
Destroyers (Of The World) (3:17)
Phantom Of The Galaxy (2:34)
Steel Killer (5:43)

Band Members

Richard Lynch: Bass, background vocals
John Mahan: Guitars, background vocals
Josh Kramer: Lead vocals
Brian Willis: Drums

My exposure to Saint first came compliments of the Heaven's Metal 2 disc collection. Their song "Primed And Ready" was included in the collection and it quickly became one of my favorites. However before the internet was what it is today, finding certain music was hard. Outside of the mainstream CCM stuff, hard rock and metal albums weren't as easy to come by...at least where I grew up. Unlike Stryper or Barren Cross where I could simply pick up their newest album at any local music store, Saint was one of many bands that eluded me until many years later.

I'm not sure where I acquired my first Saint album, but it was on cassette. Too Late For Living. I wore that tape out! As much as I enjoyed the band, I never owned anything by them on CD until recently. I ended up grabbing this album online for a decent price. The one thing I don't know is if it's an original or a reissue. I know that a lot of Christian hard rock and metal CDs have been reprinted and reissued over the years so if this isn't an original I wouldn't be surprised. However in this case I don't really care as I'm just glad to have a Saint CD in my library after all these years.

The first thing that grabbed my attention was the cover art. This looks more like something I would've seen on a cover of a Ronnie James Dio album! On the back of the album is a verse from Revelation, specifically Revelation 13:1

And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns...and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

The whole album's tone is really dark. Just look at a few of the lyrics from the album's title, Time's End

He wakes in darkness
The stench of burnt flesh fills the air
His chewed up body
The rates are crawling everywhere
He looks around him to his horror
Dead bodies rotting all around
There is no memory in his mind
This is no answer to be found

Chorus
The sound of metal clanging makes him hide
He sees mutant people walk in stride
Hot crimson lasers glaring from their gaze
Dark shadow killers walk out from the haze
Sonar detectors working underground
These wicked men of metal know no bounds
He climbs the ladder up into his fright
Leaving the sewer city late at night
Roaming the streets he hears the people cry
There are the beastly banners flying high
Mass execution stage a bloody feast
Won't take the mark or bow down to the beast

Many of the songs are based on the book of Revelation and deal with the end times, the second coming of Christ and the horrible nature of Satan himself. I also wanted to point out that these songs aren't blatantly "turn or burn" type songs either. Several of the songs do point out there is a better way and a source of hope, but Richard Lynch and John Mahan (who wrote most of the songs) aren't cramming Jesus down your throat either. I would have loved to have had this album when I was in high school as I feel it could have been a good witnessing tool for me.

Musically the whole album rocks. All the songs have their own distinct sound, but they all share a heavy, progressive sound. Josh Kramer's vocals are scratchy sounding, especially when he raises his voice on certain songs. I had this CD on loop at work on Saturday afternoon and I love the constant sonic assault on my ears.

Believe it or not, but the band is still alive and kicking. Check out their official website for more info as well as their store where you can purchase and download their past albums. I'll be picking up a few more of their albums myself as Saint was one of the premier Christian rock bands on the 80's.

No comments:

Post a Comment