Friday, May 3, 2019

Titanic "Maiden Voyage"


Titanic
Maiden Voyage (Collector's Edition)
2010 Retroactive Records

album cover

back

lyrics (click to enlarge)

album back

disc

Track Listing

Hollywood Blvd.

(* please note that the linked music is from the original release)

Musicians

Robert Sweet: drums
Ray Kilsdonk: bass
Bill Menchen: guitars
Simon Tyler: vocals

This heavy metal classic originally released in 1996. The 2010 Collector's Edition features stunning new artwork, while the music has been remixed, remastered, and partially re-recorded. We extend a special thanks to the amazing Robert Sweet (Stryper) for providing real drums on this Collector's Edition. We asked him to "really let loose" and to "drum like you've always wanted to - with no restrictions" and that's exactly what he did! The result is a world-class heavy metal release with drums by a bonafide superstar! Enjoy!

If my memory serves me correctly, Titanic is one of those bands that I learned about in my high school years thanks to the pages of Heaven's Metal magazine. I never was able to pick up any of their original albums, but thanks to Retroactive Records all of their albums were re-released. Having not actually listened to their music before, I purchased Maiden Voyage solely for the fact that Robert Sweet was on drums. That isn't something that I would normally do, however I have loved just about any project any member of Stryper has performed on and this one is no exception.

Being a mid-90's metal album, the music is heavy with crunchy guitar riffs and of course some amazing drumming. I love to turn this one up loud when listening. Simon Tyler's vocals took me awhile before I started to appreciate what he brought to the band as his style was a little different than what I was used to. Very few songs have the rest of the band chime in so most of what you year is Simon. I like my metal to be a little more melodic (at least on the chorus'), but different doesn't equate to being bad. In fact, the more and more I have listened to this album in my car and at home the more I've come to enjoy it.

The album's booklet doesn't give song writing credit so I don't know if Bill Menchen wrote all the songs or if it was a collective effort. These songs have a lot of lyrics and whomever wrote them was very crafty. Metal songs aren't always known for containing a ton of lyrics so Titanic is the exception to the rule. One song that stood out to me was I Don't Believe. It's basically an anthem of everything the songwriter believes and doesn't believe in.

I don't believe I stand alone
I don't believe in throwing stones
I don't believe in fairy tales
I don't believe that God fails
I don't believe in black or white
I don't believe I'm always right
I don't believe you know the truth
I don't believe in dead youth
I'm not gonna take it back oh no
I'm not gonna take it back 
I don't care what you say

I believe I picked this album up on Amazon for fairly cheap and as of this post is still available. The Amazon description says this album is great for fans of Judas Priest and Saint. I am a fan of Saint and I can see the similarities, but I've only listened to a handful of Judas Priest songs so I'll have to bow out on that comparison. Overall this album does get better with each listen and is one that I can highly suggest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment