Friday, July 17, 2015

Guardian "Swing Swang Swung"


Guardian
Swing Swang Swung
1994 Pakaderm Records
Produced By: John & Dino Elefante

album cover

insert

back

disc

Track Listings

Like the Sun (5:19)
Your Love (4:47)
Why Don't We (1:28)

Musicians

Jamie Rowe: Lead vocals
Tony Palacios: Guitar, vocals
David Bach: Bass, vocals
Karl Ney: Drums

In 1994 Guardian left their hard rock / metal behind them and tried something a little different with Swing Swang Swung. This time around they opted for an acoustic sound with a hint of folk. The final package I think is fantastic, but a lot of fans criticized the band for the sudden change in their sound. Yes, it is different and a pretty drastic departure from Fire & Love and Miracle Mile, but different doesn't have to be bad.

All of the sounds still have that signature Guardian sound, just less edgy. The bluesy sound of The Way Home Back opens the album and easily becomes one of my favorite songs. This song is a good example of how easy it is to sing along. You've got your acoustic rock, slower ballads (such as the video for "See You In Heaven") and then you have Preacher and the Bear. Hands down this is one of my all time favorite songs. Originally recorded by Jerry Reed in 1970 on his Georgia Sunshine album, Guardian puts their signature sound with an injection of blues to make this their own sound.

The guys may have taken a chance with their 4th studio album (2nd for Pakaderm Records), but it works. When I want to listen to Guardian I can't say this is always the first album I reach for, but by no means does it mean that I don't give this one a listen from time to time. While listening to the album while I typed this, my wife made mention that she enjoyed several of the slower songs and asked who I was listening too. If I can catch her ear then I know the guys have done well!

1 comment: