Saturday, May 9, 2015

Shout "It Won't Be Long"


Shout
It Won't Be Long
1988 Frontline Records
Produced By: Ken Tamplin

 album cover

 insert (back)

 insert

 back

disc

Track Listings

Never Stop (3:58)
Find a Way (4:49)
Shout (4:19)
Showdown (4:02)
Timeless Love (4:36)
Without You (3:42)

Band Members

Chuck King: Lead and Rhythm Guitars, Vocals
Ken Tamplin: Lead and Rhythm Guitars, Lead Vocals
Loren Robinson: Bass Guitar, Vocals
Mark Hugonberger: Keyboards
Dennis Holt: Drums

Guitar solo on "Shout" by Lanny Cordola

When I was first introduced to Christian music in general, it just happened to be a lot of rock bands were signed to Frontline Records and their imprint label, Intense Records. While it took me a while to warm up to some bands, it didn't take me long to appreciate the man behind the vocals of Shout...Ken Tamplin.

To this day I'm amazed as his vocal abilities. I recently caught a YouTube video of Ken covering Stryper's classic tune, Soldiers Under Command, and let me tell you he still sounds awesome. Oh yeah, he's a pretty good guitar player too. For more info check out his Vocal Academy page.

I've always thought of Shout as more of a studio effort than an actual band. Shout would go on to record two albums for Frontline and have one "best of" album. Ken would go on to record several solo albums before comprising the awesome bands Magdallan and the band simply known as Tamplin.

Listening to this album again has been a blast, however I'm far more familiar with the 2nd half of the album. I owned the cassette much longer than I have owned the CD, so that probably explains why songs such as "Shout" are "Showdown" some of my favorite songs. I have to admit this album hasn't aged well, but it doesn't mean that it isn't good. I can only wonder what this album would sound like if Ken didn't also supply his vocals to the background. Chuck are Loren are both credited as helping in the background vocal department, but Ken's voice is so overpowering it almost sounds if this is a one man show at times. 

KMG Records later reissued both It Won't Be Long and In Your Face on one disc and can still be found online for less than $15. The original Frontline releases may run you a little more, but no matter how you intend on purchasing the album, it's a solid effort that deserves at least one listen. Ken Tamplin may not be your favorite artist/musician, but the guy is wildly talented and it seems as if his vocals will never age!

No comments:

Post a Comment