Friday, May 1, 2015

Fleming & John "Ugly Girl" Single


Fleming & John
Ugly Girl
1999 Universal Records
Produced By: John Mark Painter and Fleming McWilliams

cover

back

disc

Track Listings

Ugly Girl (3:48)
The Pearl (4:28)

With F&J having their recent Kickstarter campaign successfully funded, I've found myself going back to their two albums I own. While digging through one of my misc boxes I recently came across this single. Back when cassette and CD singles were sold at your local music store, I would usually browse them but hardly would I ever purchase anything. When I saw this single for F&J I had to buy it. I already owned the album these songs came off of (The Way We Are), but I felt compelled to support them and buy the single. Plus I love the lyrics to Ugly Girl. Even to this day I get cracked up over some of the lines.

Two great songs from a great album, all wrapped up in with some great art made this worthy of my $2.99 purchase back in the day. This single isn't that hard to come across and still sells for about what I paid in 1999.

Just for fun, here are the lyrics to Ugly Girl.

When I saw you at the grocery store
You were sharing a shopping cart with her
And I couldn't turn and run away, I didn't know what to say

You introduced us for the first time
And I had to look her in the eye
But you could not imagine my surprise, can't you see

You're leaving me for an ugly girl
Does she talk about politics
And all the stuff that used to make me sick
Does she smoke cigars and stay up late, oh, she's so great

Does she tell you what you want to hear
And I bet that she can grow a beard
I'd feel better thinking you were queer, it's not fair

I can't compare to an ugly girl
To an ugly girl

The jokes on me
I feel jealous and I feel mean
Is she so nice that it makes up for her face, there's no way

Do you have to keep your eyes closed
Do you have to keep the lights down low
Oh, I bet you wish you had a blindfold, can't you see

You're leaving me for an ugly girl
For an ugly girl
She's an ugly girl, a real ugly girl

She's an ugly girl, an ugly girl
She's an ugly girl


Songwriters
Mc Williams, Fleming / Painter, John / Folds, Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment